Eduardo Rodriguez He has been away from the Tigers for nearly a month, putting the starter club on the banned list on June 13. John Heyman from The New York Post It was later reported that it was a concern of my husband. There was no timetable for his return at the time, and it appears he is still up in the air when he returns with the club.
Speaking to reporters this afternoon, Detroit General Manager Al Avila stated that the team had not heard from Rodriguez recently (Link via Cody Stavenhagen from Athletic). “We reached out to him, but he apparently never reached out again. We are just waiting for him,Avila said. “It’s unusual, but we have no choice but to wait for it now and see how it develops as we go forward.“
Director AJ Hinch gave a similar report last week. “From what I know, there was absolutely no movement and no communicationHench said at the time. “We know he’s safe, we know he’s home with his kids, we know he’s back in Florida, but it’s been very quiet.“
As part of an aggressive off-season, the Tigers added Rodriguez to a five-year, $77 million free agent contract last November. The deal also gives southpaw a chance to pull out after the 2023 campaign. He started eight times during the first two months of the season, working in a 4.38 ERA through 39 runs. Rodriguez fell to the injured list on May 22 with a rib cage strain. He has been on a minor rehab job in the league and is on his way back from injury while he has been away from the club.
Players on the restricted list don’t get paid, so Rodriguez loses salary for any time he spends away from the team. Avila declined to answer when asked if the Tigers would consider the possibility of trying to void his entire contract. “I won’t get into that at this point. Obviously this is a situation, it’s a special situation now on his part. I won’t get into it.“
“Friendly food junkie. Lifelong introvert. Student. Avid coffee scholar. Unapologetic travel specialist. Zombie buff.”