September 28, 2022

Great Indian Mutiny

Complete IndianNews World

8 killed in fire at electric motorcycle shop in India

This content was published on 13 September 2022 – 05:37

New Delhi, Sep 13 (EFE) .- At least eight people died and ten others were injured in a fire at a shop selling electric motorcycles in southern India, a police source told Efe on Tuesday.

“Eight people have died and ten others have been injured” in the fire that started on Monday night, said Deputy Police Commissioner Chandana Deepti from Secunderabad in the southern state of Telangana.

According to the initial investigation, the fire broke out due to a short circuit in a battery at an electric motorcycle shop located under a hotel, the source said.

Several casualties at the hotel were caused by fainting due to smoke, and several videos posted on social networks showed people jumping from windows to escape the fire.

A recent spate of incidents involving electric cars and motorcycles in various parts of India has led authorities to announce stricter safety measures for the batteries of these vehicles.

Fires, landslides and other similar accidents occur frequently in India, often fueled by poor infrastructure and lack of maintenance, corruption and illegal practices.

The last major fire in the Asian country occurred on August 1, when at least five people died and eleven were injured at a private hospital in the state of Madhya Pradesh.

According to the latest official data, in 2020, 9,329 accidental fires were recorded in India in government buildings, schools, residences and other places, more than a hundred of them in factories. 9,110 people died and 468 were injured in these incidents. EFE

See also  BYD launches e6 electric MPV delivery in India

daa/mt/alf

EFE 2022. Redistribution and redistribution of all or part of the contents of the EFE Services is expressly prohibited without the prior and express consent of Agencia EFE SA.